English may currently be the international language of choice. However, many countries aren’t always happy about the presence of flashy tourists. The following can help:
- Learn how to greet people politely.
- “Please” and “thank” you can never be underestimated.
- Learn how to say “no thank you” and “please leave me alone”. Hawkers in crowded market places can be a real pain.
- Learn to say “I have no money”. This could also have the desired effect if saying “no thank you” doesn’t work.
- Do you speak English? It always helps to ask, but first try the local language.
Posted on June 13, 2013